- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 6 tbsp cold water plus more if needed
- 12 oz queso blanco or "cheese for frying"
- vegetable oil for frying
- Cut butter in 1/4 inch slices.
- Place butter slices, 2 cups flour, and baking powder in a food processor.
- Pulse until butter is mixed in and the flour is crumbly.
- Place mixture in a large bowl.
- Add egg and water. Mix with a spatula to form a ball. Add water, tablespoon by tablespoon, if needed.
- Wrap ball in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Take out and roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness, forming a 12 x 12 inch square. Slice into 3/4 inch strips.
- Slice cheese into strips that measure 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch x 2 1/2 inches.
- Take a strip and wrap it in a spiral around the cheese, covering all the cheese. Pinch dough to seal in cheese.
- Heat oil in a large, deep cast iron pan or fryer. When hot (400 degrees), add the dough-wrapped cheese sticks in small batches and fry for three to five minutes, or until golden. Flip halfway through if needed.
- Place on paper towel and continue with next batches.
- Serve and enjoy!