Tag Archive for: Taste of Missions 2022
Thai Pork Massaman CurryPeter Janke - East Asia mission team
- 1 ½ LB of Pork (or Chicken or Beef)
- 5-6 tbsp Massaman curry paste 5-6
- 3 tbsp Thai spices
- 3 tbsp cardamom
- 2 bay leaves remove before serving
- 3-4 tbsp star anise
- 6-7 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cup coconut milk
- 5 potatoes
- 3 onions
- 1 cup peanuts
- 8 tsp fish sauce
- 5 + 1/2 tsp coconut sugar
- 4 tsp tamarind juice
- Slice the potatoes, onions, and pork into large chunks, as usually for a stew.
- Cook the pork, when it is nearly finished add in a cup of coconut milk and the curry paste and mix together.
- Add the remaining coconut milk, the spices, the potatoes, peanuts and onions to stew.
- Add palm sugar, fish sauce, and Tamarind juice to taste.
- Stew the curry for about 40 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Serve with white rice.
Bangladeshi Hilsa fishSouth Asia Missionary Wife
- 1 tsp black cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric seed
- 2-4 green chilies
- 1 tbsp mustard oil or veg. oil
- salt to taste
- In a shallow pan fry fish pieces to a golden brown
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil and add 1 tsp cumin seed and let it crackle
- Add about a cup of water and 1/2 tsp turmeric and salt to taste and boil.
- Add fish pieces, split the green chillies and add to curry.
- Cook 2 minutes.
Venezuelan TequeñosRachel Hartman – Missionary Wife
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 6 tbsp cold water plus more if needed
- 12 oz queso blanco or "cheese for frying"
- vegetable oil for frying
- Cut butter in 1/4 inch slices.
- Place butter slices, 2 cups flour, and baking powder in a food processor.
- Pulse until butter is mixed in and the flour is crumbly.
- Place mixture in a large bowl.
- Add egg and water. Mix with a spatula to form a ball. Add water, tablespoon by tablespoon, if needed.
- Wrap ball in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Take out and roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness, forming a 12 x 12 inch square. Slice into 3/4 inch strips.
- Slice cheese into strips that measure 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch x 2 1/2 inches.
- Take a strip and wrap it in a spiral around the cheese, covering all the cheese. Pinch dough to seal in cheese.
- Heat oil in a large, deep cast iron pan or fryer. When hot (400 degrees), add the dough-wrapped cheese sticks in small batches and fry for three to five minutes, or until golden. Flip halfway through if needed.
- Place on paper towel and continue with next batches.
- Serve and enjoy!
English Coronation ChickenPhilip Parker - member of the new WELS mission in London, England
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2-3 tsp mild curry powder
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tbsp mango cutney or 1/2 cup fresh mango
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/3 cup sultanas or raisins
- handful of fresh coriander or cilantro
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Put the chicken breasts into a large pan, and boil.
- Finely slice the celery and chop the dried apricots and mango (if using fresh rather than chutney) into small pieces.
- Combine the mild curry powder, mayonnaise, yoghurt, mango chutney/fresh mango, Worcestershire sauce, celery, dried apricots, and raisins into a mixing bowl. Then mix in the coriander.
- When the chicken breasts have cooked through, let them cool then chop or shed them into small pieces.
- Combine the chicken with the mixed ingredients.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper and the juice of ½ to 1 whole lemon to taste.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Serve on a bed of fresh lettuce leaves, cucumber slices and tomatoes, or enjoy as a sandwich with lettuce. It would also work well mixed with pasta as a chicken pasta salad.
West Coast SalmonAlicia Cortright – Saviour of the Nations, Vancouver, B.C.
- 1 lb salmon fillet
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- toasted sesame seeds (for garnish) optional
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Prepare glaze by stirring together maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place the salmon skin-side down on the baking sheet. Glaze the salmon with the mixture you prepared. Cook in a 400 F oven for 10 minutes. Glaze once more. Depending on the thickness of your fillet, bake about 8-10 minutes more or until fish is cooked to your liking. To serve, you may choose to garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
Steak RubMary Heckendorf - Light of the Valleys, Reno, Nev.
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Aleppo chili flakes
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp ground oregano
- 1 tbsp espresso coffee
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Mix above ingredients and store in an airtight container. Mix with oil and vinegar or lemon juice to turn into a marinade.
Taste of Missions
This annual hybrid event, hosted by WELS Missions, will provide all WELS members an opportunity to connect with brothers and sisters in Christ from around the globe and be a part of the important gospel outreach occurring through our synod.