Anasazi Beans & Ham
- 2 cups dry Anasazi Beans rinsed and sorted
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 3/4 - 1 lb bone in ham steak cubed
- 4 ounces can diced green chiles
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse dried beans and sort for stems and stones. In a large stock pot, cover beans with 3 quarts water and bring to a boil. Cook covered at a gentle boil for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beans begin to soften (this will happen more quickly at lower altitudes).
- Add remaining ingredients and continue cooking for 3-4 hours or until all liquid is absorbed. Heat may be reduced from boiling once onions have softened and become transparent.
- To avoid scorching at higher altitudes, beans may be finished in a 350 degree oven, but should be stirred every 20-30 minutes. Remove ham bone before serving.
- Serve warm with tortillas or cornbread.