- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 green chili pepper stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp finely minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tomato diced
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Put rinsed lentils and water in a pot. Cook on medium heat for 20-30 minutes, until mushy. Add more water as needed to keep the lentils a bit soupy while cooking.
- While lentils are cooking, heat the oil on medium heat. Add cumin and cinnamon and cook until fragrant.
- Add onion, green chili pepper, garlic, and ginger. Cook until onions are turning translucent.
- Add turmeric, cardamom, paprika, salt and tomato. Cook until the tomato begins to fall apart. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- When the lentils are cooked, stir in the spice mixture. Add lemon juice and stir well. Taste and add more salt if needed. Add more water if it's too thick, cook a little longer if it's too runny.
- Serve with rice as a side dish to your meal.