https://tasteofmissions.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/IMG_0715.jpeg 567 850 Mara Rugen Mara Rugen2021-07-02 15:22:592021-07-12 21:53:33African Lasagna
This is a family favorite that we have used since our time in Africa. The recipe was given to me by Linda Roecker who was also a missionary wife in Malawi with me at the time.Minimal supplies needed. Quick prep time and very tasty.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 29 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups milk
- pinch of nutmeg
- lasagna noodles
- 2-3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray a 9 x 13 pan with canola spray or oil.
- Brown hamburger meat and drain fat.
- Combine tomato sauce ,sugar, spices and simmer 15-20 min.
- In separate pot, melt butter and mix in flour to make a roux, add salt and milk slowly and stir over low heat until sauce thickens, sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Layer a layer of uncooked lasagna noodles on the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spoon half of the red sauce over the noodles then spoon half of the white sauce over the red sauce, top with an additional layer of uncooked noodles.
- Top that with remaining red sauce followed by remaining white sauce.
- Top with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min. Cool 15 min before serving.
- Reheats well in microwave and freezes well.