Bulgarian Paunch Soup (Shkembe Chorba)Iliyan and Kirilka Itsov - National pastor and wife in Bulgaria
- 1 1/4 veal paunch
- 1 cup milk
- black pepper
- chili pepper
- Prepare the paunch for cooking. If you manage to find prepared paunch, continue with step 2.
- Boil the paunch with boiling water for 3-4 min then immediately clean the inner part with a knife.
- Boil it again for another 3-4 min and clean the outer part with a knife; remove the skin too.
- Wash the paunch, put it in a saucepan and cover it with cold water.
- To be ready for cooking, the punch should be boiled about 3 hours.
- While boiling, it should be always covered with water.
- After that, take it out and chopped it in small pieces.
- If you manage to purchase prepared paunch, then start here.
- Wash the paunch, chop it and start to boil it with 1 quart water.
- Wait 20 min, add the milk.
- Wait 10 min, add salt and some cooking oil.
- Boil for 5 min.
- In an additional small pot, mix the chopped garlic and the vinegar.
- Serve the soup and flavor it with the garlic mixture and the chili spice.
- If you like black pepper spice, you can add it to flavor the soup.
- For best taste, the soup must be consumed hot.
Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pao De Queijo)Linda Marquardt - Former Missionary Wife in Brazil
- 2 cups tapioca flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- Add milk, salt and butter to a large pot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Add the cheese and eggs. Stir until mixed well.
- Stir in tapioca flour and stir until dough is stiff enough to roll into balls.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Form the mixture into balls a little bigger than the size of a walnut. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown.
- Best eaten soon after baking.
Apple Cinnamon Quick BreadHenrich Family - Home Missionary family in Toronto, Ontario
For the Bread
- 3 cups apples diced
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce or vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Streusel
- 5 tbsp softened butter salted
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
To make the bread
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and lightly spray 9x5 loaf pans with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Peel your apples and dice into small pieces.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt and whisk together.
- In another large bowl, add the applesauce (or vegetable oil), eggs, sugars, and vanilla and mix with a whisk until fully combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in batches (three parts) and stir with a spatula until fully combined. The batter will be very thick.
- Stir in diced apples.
- Pour half of the batter into each prepared loaf pan - try to keep the amounts even.
To make the streusel
- In a small bowl, add the softened butter, cinnamon, and sugar and mix together with a fork. Drop the streusel mixture onto the tops of the batter and lightly swirl.
- Bake for 1 hour then check on your loaves. Insert a toothpick into the center - if it comes out clean, with moist crumbs, your bread is done.
- Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then lightly run a knife around the edges to loosen. Flip onto a plate, slice and enjoy.
Indonesia Soy Sauce Chicken (Ayam Kecap)Deborah - National Church Member in Indonesia
- 1/2 kg Chicken 6 pieces
- 3 cloves of Garlic minced
- 3 cloves of Shallot minced
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 3 pieces of Cloves
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 cups Water
- 3 tbsp Sweet Soy Sauce
- 1 bunch of Green Onion finely chopped.
- In a large pot, cover all Chicken with water. Boil the chicken until half cooked.
- Set aside the chicken and discard the water.
- Preheat cooking oil in a pot. Add Garlic, Shallot, and stir fry until fragrant.
- Add water, Chicken, Soy Sauce, Black Pepper, and Cloves. Cover the pan for about 10-15 minutes. Finally, put green onions on the top for a garnish.
Taste of Missions
This annual online event, hosted by WELS Missions, will provide all WELS members an opportunity to connect with brothers and sisters in Christ from around the globe and be a part of the important gospel outreach occurring through our synod.
Fill out the WELS Contact Us form to submit any questions you have about Taste of Missions.
Find us on Facebook
WELS Missions’ Facebook