Russian Chicken and Potato Pie
- 3 carrots grated
- 6 medium potatoes boiled and thickly sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs raw chicken or turkey breast cut into short strips
- 2 lbs white mushrooms chopped and fried in a little oil
- 6 medium onions diced and fried separately in a little oil
- 4-5 raw potatoes peeled and very thinly sliced
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 400° F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- This is a layered casserole. In between each layer is a layer of “egg pancake”. To make an “egg pancake”: beat one egg in a cup with a fork, pour onto a hot, greased skillet and tilt the pan so the egg covers the bottom of the skillet. Do not turn over the egg.
- When the egg has cooked, carefully remove the “egg pancake” from the skillet.
- For a 9 x 13 baking dish, you will need 2 “egg pancakes” to cover each layer.
- You can be making the “egg pancakes” while you are preparing the other ingredients.
- Place the carrots in the bottom of the baking dish. Lightly salt the carrot layer. Cover the carrot layer with 2 egg pancakes.
- Place the boiled potato slices on the egg. Lightly salt. Cover the potatoes with 2 egg pancakes.
- Place the chicken or turkey on the egg. Lightly salt. Cover the chicken with 2 egg pancakes.
- Mix together the mushrooms and onions. Place the mushroom and onion mixture over the egg. Lightly salt. Cover the mushroom mixture with 2 egg pancakes.
- Place the thin potato slices on top. Stick thin potato slices vertically around the edge of the casserole and push them down so they aren’t sticking up above the top of the dish, forming a border around the casserole. Lightly salt the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are done. Top with shredded cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted and golden brown.