Northern Thai Pork Stew
- 2 lbs pork cut into 2 inch pieces
- 4-6 potatoes peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cooking wine
- 2 slices ginger root approximately 2 inches long each
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Enough water or chicken broth to cover ingredients
- Put ingredients in crockpot and cook on low for approximately 6 hours. Add more water as needed.
- Serve over rice.
- This dish is traditionally served with hard boiled “stewed” eggs. The eggs are boiled and peeled first, and then soaked in some of the stew sauce overnight in the fridge.
- Then return the eggs to the stew when you reheat it.
- The eggs only work if you plan on making the stew a day ahead of time or if you plan on having leftovers for the next day.