Braised Hoisin Beer Short Ribs
- 3 lbs beef short ribs about 10 ribs
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 10-12 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 piece ginger peeled and sliced in 1/4 inch slices
- 12 oz good ale recommended: Bass
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- Season the ribs generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large heavy pot with a lid over high heat.
- Brown the ribs on all sides, in batches if necessary.
- Remove the ribs and pour off all but a couple tablespoons of the rendered fat.
- Return the pot to the stove, lower heat to medium and saute the garlic and ginger for about 3 minutes.
- Add the ribs back to the pot.
- Add the beer and the vinegar.
- Stir and then cover and simmer for 2.5 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Pour the hoisin sauce over the ribs, move the pot to the oven, and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove ribs and ginger from the sauce.
- Strain fat from the top of the pat so that you're left with just the good stuff.